More and more couples from all over the world are deciding on a traditional wedding ceremony in Germany.We would like to recommend the services of Burghausen Castle and ourselves for your Romantic Wedding. Burghausen is situated in the beautiful Salzach Valley and combines a medieval old town and the longest castle in the world recorded for the first time in the Guinness book of records 2010.
A further advantage is that the Register office, chapel and banqueting/reception rooms are all within 50 meters. We can offer you and your guests the complete package of a competent consultation, individual design and a professional service all on site, offered in both English & German.
We will be pleased to discuss your requirements. Check here for more informations:
The castle Burghausen is located in Bavaria in southern Germany about 110 kilometers (66 miles) east of Munich. It lies on the westbank of the Salzach River which is the border between Germany and Austria. It is the longest existing castle in the world. The castle is build on top a ridge and its length is stretched out over a full kilometer. Parts of the defensive structure reached down to the village and are integrated into its town walls. The complex is divided into six courtyards. Burghausen is one of those-must see castles!
Burghausen describes itself as a "little city" which connects the past and present, the mystical and realism, the traditional and the technological future. It certainly does and is one of those rare "finds" that you feel you've discovered yourself.
Six Courtyards The castle complex is divided into six courtyards. Each courtyard had or has its own fortified gate, moat and wooden drawbridge. Likewise each courtyard was built at a different time and has its own individual history.
In the first courtyard are located the Palace of the Duke's Residence, the Kemenate, The Durnitz, the Inner Castle Chapeland and the Treasury. The Inner Castle Chapel was built during the 13th century, a time period when architecture changed from Roman to Gothic,hence the outer walls of the chapel were built in Roman style and the inner style of the chapel was Gothic.
The second courtyard is very large, but many of the original buildings are gone and have not been rebuilt. Originally it contained the stables, a well, the main kitchen and the bakery as well as the lodges of the grooms and pages.
In the third courtyard the smithy or forge and an arsenal were located. Grain was stored on the upper two floors of the arsenal. It has one of the most distinguished and best preserved bridge and gate of any castle of medieval times (George Bridge and Gate). It is the most narrow part of the castle and the wooden bridge has a length of 27 m and covers almost 8 meters deep.
In the fourth courtyard were another stable with grain storage on the second floor, the prison, Torture Tower or Witches Tower and a deep dungeon. Burghausen is one of the few castles that had a separate torture chamber. The actual torture devices are on display at the National Museum in Munich.
The fifth courtyard contained the main Tower (Gardener's Tower), which also served as a look out. Here can be found the tax office, where the tax payments of corn, wine and oil were stored. A small Gothic style chapel, which wasbuilt between 1480 - 1490, is also located here.
The sixthcourtyard is the largest and most changed courtyard of the castle. In the middle stands a Clock Tower (built in the 15th century) with a well house attached to it. In this yard master officials, clergy, craftsmen and their families lived and had their workshops. There was also a horse pond and a horse drawn mill. The towers on the right side of the yard were built during the 14th century and are square, where as the towers on the left side were built during the 15th century and are circular.
The castle is on top a long finger of land that seemingly was waiting throughout history for the right castle.Burghausen takes advantage of every inch of the hill top, stretching the complex out over a full kilometer. A total of six courtyards or baileys divide the complex.
There are two museums within the castle and the complex is much as it was when it underwent its last major construction period to increase its fortifications in the 15thcentury. Parts of the defensive structure reaches down to the village and is integrated into its town walls. All together Burghausen is probably one of the most powerful and impressive of all Germany's castles.
Inside one of the courtyards is this collection of cannon balls. From everywhere on the castle grounds you can see great vistas of the German countryside or, as in this view, (R) one of the town churches on the German side of the Salzach river and the towns of Austria on the otherside.
The final courtyard or bailey (hof) at the deepest end of the castle is where the palace is. Here is where the chambers of the princes is located. Within this court are two great looking covered staircases. (Below is the staircase on the right as you enter the bailey. This one leads to the kemnate - womens' and childrens chambers. The second is identical and on the opposite side of the court).
History of the castle The castle of Burghausen belongs to the biggest and most impressive bulwarks of Europe. Duke George the Rich of Landshut/Lower Bavaria and his Polish wife Hedwig had extensive alterations and extensions made after 1475. The bulwark has been founded in the 13th century. This post-medieval castle could be conserved in its original form to the most part.
It is thought that there was a Celtic settlement on the Burghausen ridge in 100 BC. In 600 AD the first building on the castle site was a wooden fortified house built by Bavarian Dukes and used the court of the Palatinate. It served for general administration as well as for the protection of the salt trade, shipped on the Salzach river.
The city of Burghausen was first mentioned in 1025 in a document as being a royal court (Reichshof). The German King Konrad II made Burghausen and the surrounding districts into an Earldom and appointed Bailiffs to administer it. The first expansion of the castle was made by Count Sieghart X in 1090, but most of the buildings have disappeared. It stayed the seat of the counts of Burghausen until 1163.In that year Heinrich the Lion, the famous opponent of the German Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa, took possession of the castle and the Earldom until 1180.
Until 1918 the Bavarian Dukes of Wittelsbach ruled Bavaria and extended the castle further through the centuries. Duke Heinrich XIII built the main castle (foundation wall,cellars, chapel) in 1255, and much of it stands still today. The most important building periods however were under the rule of the last three Dukes (Heinrich, Ludwig and Georg) of Lower Bavaria. They expanded and reinforced the castle to its present appearance under the impression of the Turk danger (1480 - 1490).
After the Landshuter succession wars (1503 - 1505) the castle lost its residential status but still had great military importance and was fortified again in the 17th century because of the advancing Swedes in the Thirty Year's War. In the 18th century the castle underwent massive conversions and, as result of the succession wars in the first half oft he 18th century and the loss of parts of the country to Austria, Burghausen became a border town.
Salt played an important role in the construction and evolution of Burghausen Castle. Burghausen grew and became important and rich due to the salt trade during the Middle Ages. Since all the salt from Salzburg, Hallein and the Alps had to travel north on the Salzach River by Burghausen to get to the rest of Europe,
Burghausen charged a toll whether the salt travelled by water or land. However in 1594 the government took over the regulation of all salt trade and Burghausen lost its main source of income.
With the loss of the land on the other side of the Salzach to Austria in 1779, Burghausen had to struggle to stay a town during the1600s - 1800s. At that time the decay of Castle Burghausen began. During the war against the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Napoleon stayed at Burghausen in 1809 and declared the castle as obsolete for use as a fortress.
In 1896 began a thorough renovation of the main castle and since 1960 there are current renovation measures in progress for the whole castle.
The Town Museum is located in the former rooms of the cemenate. Those rooms were formerly used for the Lady, the tin chamber, the virgin’s chamber, the silver chamber, the steward’s chamber and the chapel. Spread up on four storeys, the museum presents its extensive collection in 30 rooms. Originally created as a Museum of Local History, the town museum gives an insight look into the past, the art and culture of Burghausen and its surroundings.